stats counter

Thursday 9 October 2014

Am I a feminist?

Hello internet, 

You should all realise this blog is a place where I can express my thoughts and feelings. 

So as you can guess from the title I'm going to explore gender equality a bit. Now I'm not going to be light hearted about this because it's not a light hearted subject. Now I come from a white middle class background, I can't help that blame the parents. But that doesn't make me stuck in my ways, I'm always open to new things and new ideas. Some you may know I want to study sociology and politics for that very reason. 

Recently there has been a lot of stigma towards women online, what with the apple cloud hack. Which both scared me and got me thinking, we as a culture enjoy sex. We do there's not a day goes by without two famous people in a sex scene on our TVs. Or certain tablid magazines proclaiming the latest sex scandal. It scared me because non of us are really safe from the internet, the richest women in Hollywood have been exposed. Now hmm do I feel sorry for these actresses? Yes I do it's a horrible thing and those pictures were meant to be private and between two people that trusted each other but then the other side of me says why did they take them? They knew the risk of them getting leaked... And then I realised that they were convinced by a man, a man who hasn't been named and shamed like these poor women. So I asked myself this question am I a feminist? Or more am I allowed to be a feminist? 

I studied GCSE history I know about the suffragettes and sufferegists, the awareness they raised is outstanding. Without there commitment we wouldn't be anywhere near gender equality today. I watched Emma Watsons speech about heforshe and I 100% agree with what she said. And I realised I'm not a feminist or a feminist allie, what I am is a equalitist (made up word I think). I believe we should all be equal, I'm an 18 year old male and I take care of myself. I pluck my eyebrows so I don't look like I have a mono brow, I moisturise my hands and arms because they get dry, I shave my face and I shower with flowery smelling body washes. I've even been known to exfoliate. Does this make me lesser a man? No it makes me comfertable. Trust me I can be aggressive competive arrogant idiot if I wish to be, however I tried it and I hated myself for it. I wish we had a society where the highest death rate for males wasn't suicide. However I can see why those statitics exsist, I'm greeted with comments on the way I have my hair or the clothes I wear from females.. But if that judgmental back I would be sexist. That's not a equal world. For equality to work everyone should be equal. Haha when you write it it sounds so simple. 

There is one thing though... Feminists aren't a bunch of scary women burning bras and chaining themselves to fences, they are mothers and entrepreneurs. There your neighbours, husbands, sons, police women. Notice I included men in there because like me there is men out there that believe the same as me, everyone should be equal. Now I'm straight, I like women. But not just as an image on a computer screen, I like women for conversation and fun and to work with. Yeah I like boobs who doesn't? But saying that isn't sexist it's realist, men and women are attracted to each other it's a fact of life. 

This probably won't make sense and is a definite ramble of thoughts so I'll link a YouTube video by Jack Howard below who explains it a lot better than I ever could. http://youtu.be/oJTDQPC_OAQ

Thanks for reading, have an amazing week

Sam x 

Remember you can you can follow me on Bloglovin if you would like to keep up to date with my blog posts and you can also like my Facebook page. 





No comments:

Post a Comment